1. What's your practice focus and what kind of clients knock on your door?
Conscious Freedom (CF) works with clients of all ages and backgrounds. We specialize in play therapy, EMDR, trauma, and parenting groups. We have clients ages 2 to 102.
2. Tell us about yourself.
I started working with CF because a peer of mine raved about how I should get started in private practice because I work with children. I slowly but surely opened this practice and started by seeing a few clients in the evening. From there, the demand for play therapists showed that there was a need. So, I decided to jump all in and go full-time right before the lockdown of COVID.
3. Tell us the story of a patient who you are most proud of helping.
I am so excited to work with all of my kiddos that I could not choose just one. So, I love to see progress and for the parents to see changes as well. I relish over the fact that parents are excited to get started and saddened when it is time to terminate. This means, to me, that we fostered an effective professional partnership and with all things that come to an end sadness is experienced even on my behalf.
4. What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a practitioner in private practice?
Transparently, insurance is a pain in my back. But another hard factor are co parents who are struggling to work together. At CF, if the parents work with me, the first expectation is for both parents to be involved in kiddos parent consultations. When there is intense tension between the parents it does not make it easy to focus on the kiddos goals and progress.
5. What are the top 3 tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a private practice today?\
The top three tips I would give anyone looking to start, run, and grow their private practice is to:
1. Don't do it alone. A lot of people start a private practice solo and really, it can be a lonely world. So have a community to support you. I am still learning new things everyday with this business.
2. Give yourself breaks. 30 clients a week is a lot. I am sure you did not open this PP to work more than you did at your 9-5 so give yourself the space to breathe.
3. Keep going. This business is hard and sometimes you will feel incapable but keep learning! 6. Where can people find you?
Check out the Green Pill here.